History of the YWCA Mount Desert Island
Young Women’s Christian Organization of Mount Desert Island is organized in Bar Harbor by Mr. Frank Spratt and Mrs. A. F. Jordan.
S. J. Clement Cottage is leased for $500.00 annually, and rooms are rented to women for $2.50 a week.
The location is moved to Cottage Street and room rentals increase to $1.00 a day.
The Kavanaugh property on Mount Desert Street (the present location of the YWCA MDI) is purchased for $10,000.
Mrs. John S. Kennedy gives the money for the present building to be constructed.
The completed building is dedicated and opens for housing in August of that year.
During the forest fire of 1947 the YWCA houses many women but also a goodly number of out-of-town firefighters.
1948 – 2004
Increases its emphasis on providing social and recreational opportunities for school age girls with Y Teens program, softball leagues, arts and crafts classes, and dance lessons for all schoolchildren
Changes its name to YWCA Mount Desert Island to widen the area it serves and increase awareness of its connection to YWCA USA, its Mission and objectives.
The YWCA MDI focuses on specific children’s events throughout the year with more deliberate programming and outreach based on YWCA USA’s identified areas of focus.