The Benni Fund
We have created “The Benni Fund” in memory of Benni McMullen, who served as our Executive Director for 39 years. This fund will offer aid to single mothers, living in the areas we serve (Hancock County, Eastern Washington County, and Western Waldo County), who have been financially affected during the COVID-19 Pandemic, due to job loss or loss of childcare. During her tenure at YWCA MDI, Benni was best known for her compassionate offer of “a leg up” to many, many women. We think she would be pleased to know that gifts in her memory will make life better for women and their children during this difficult time.
Donations to the fund can be made here.
You can download the application here, please answer all of the questions and either send to YWCA MDI, 36 Mt Desert St., Bar Harbor, ME 04609 or scan completed application and email to email@example.com.
Women in the community can access various types of support through the YWCA Mount Desert to achieve economic empowerment.
- Safe and low-cost accommodations, which is often a life saver for a woman in transition
- Sponsorship of events designed for women to market the handcrafts they have created
- Help in funding educational opportunities for traditional and non-traditional students
- Scholarships –The Ruth Hodgkins Scholarship was created as a resource for women pursuing a non-traditional course of study, offering financial assistance to women whose goals may not include a college degree. Ruth Hodgkins Scholarship Application Form
- Programming to develop money management skills